We are inviting visual and new media artists to submit their artwork for the exhibition program of the 8th Student International Film Festival.
For the last seven years, STIFF Festival has produced a rich accompanying program that elaborates and complements the thematic focus of its film program. With the emphasis on contemporary art practices, STIFF’s exhibition program gathers artists from all over the globe, dealing with relevant social, political, as well as intimate aspects of everyday life.
This year the festival is giving attention to the Body, and the exhibition program aims to explore socially relevant ways of interpreting the body in a contemporary environment saturated with images.
What is the relationship between a body and the moving image? Are we our bodies or is the body just merchandise we trade on the labor market and offer in intimate relationships? How to position ourselves in a world where objects move more freely than people?
When is our body an instrument of knowledge, interaction, and intimacy with the world, and when is it a space of discomfort and restriction? Do we allow our bodies to be playful?
We encourage a view of the body as productive and creative, the body as a process that changes its meaning and capacities depending on the context in which it resides.
As an accompanying festival program, the multimedia exhibition will aim to create a special sensory experience that will explore and enrich the subject of the body, challenging our ideas of corporeality and questioning the limits and the capacities of bodies through their constant and fluid interactions with the environment.
We are inviting artists to submit photographs, GIF animations, video art, or any other form of digital artwork (video games, websites, applications, etc.) that deal with the subject of the body in the broadest sense. We welcome various perspectives, from conceptual to intimate approaches.
The deadline for application is May 1st, 2021.
– submissions are made via google form on the link
– submitted artwork must be original
– one person can submit a maximum of two artworks or one artwork series
– the deadline for application is May 1st, 2021
– GIF animations must be looped in high resolution, profile H.264, minimal resolution 1920×1080, audio 16-bit resolution, stereo, 48000 Hz; up to 30 seconds of duration; with or without sound.
– Video art must be up to 5 minutes in duration, high resolution, profile H.264, minimal resolution 1920×1080, audio 16-bit resolution, stereo, 48000 Hz; with or without sound.
– Photography must be in minimal resolution 300 dpi
– Other digital work (video games, websites, applications, etc.) – no propositions
– Awards: no compensation; however, you retain ownership and will be credited for accepted work
STIFF is Croatia’s first International Film Festival dedicated entirely to student films. Established by the SKC Rijeka (Student Cultural Center) and organized in collaboration with Filmaktiv – the purpose of the festival is to strengthen the student film and video industry by allowing an insight into the work of other fellow student filmmakers, encouraging the development of new ideas and establishing international collaborations in the field of media production. During six successful years, the festival screened over 350 most recent student fiction, documentary, animated, and experimental films from all around the world. STIFF’s main goal is to present the best of student film production from all around the world and help them get their audiences. It strives to educate audiences about the quality of work of emerging filmmakers.
STIFF is organized in partnership with Art-kino, and supported by the Croatian Audiovisual Centre, the City of Rijeka, Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, and the University of Rijeka.